Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Goodwill Disappointment

Have you noticed how so many fantastic furniture finds people blog about finding at their local Goodwill? Have you seen Thrifty Decor Chick's coffee table, Ode to My Abode featured this dresser, Beneath My Heart's $5.99 chair, or My Cottage Charm's laundry room dresser?

Well, I sort of hope the good people who run our Goodwill store here would see my blog today. Our Goodwill is no bueno if you are into finding inexpensive furniture that needs to be refinished/repurposed/recovered, etc. First off, our furniture section is itty bitty. I mean really -- this is it!!



Please forgive the awful quality of these photos. I was stealthily using my iPhone to snap these pics. I have a "rule-following" nature and was honestly scared if I was caught taking photos they'd kick me out. Yes, I am 30 years old and yes, I did pretend to be texting after I snapped the photo. (Doesn't EVERYONE text at shoulder level?!)


So, not only does our store have two small rows of furniture type items -- they are also really expensive. I didn't take any photos of tags because...well, let's be honest...I was intimidated. Let's just say that you won't be finding any $15 or $30 solid wood dressers.


While I'm on the topic of what Goodwill doesn't have... let's talk about what they DO have. NEW stuff. Does your Goodwill store carry brand new, in the package, never used items? I'm confused. If I wanted something (anything) new I wouldn't go to Goodwill. But check out our store's NEW section. Do they really sell enough ceramic statues to warrant a whole shelf of them?


Again...sorry for the quality! One day I'll be brave enough to take my real camera with me.


I think sadly I may be ready to give up on our Goodwill. Here's hoping they improve or Craigslist is always around for potential furniture makeovers. Anyone else disappointed in their area store?


On another note... I did see a few things on the shelves that I donated last Saturday after my garage sale. :)

3 comments:

  1. I have a different problem with mine.. there are a lot of people who wait outside the doors to our d.i before it opens and they take all the cute ceramic figures. furniture and anything else that is worth anything!! Sometimes I get lucky.. but it usually takes 3 or 4 trips for me to leave with something worth repurposing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O I am so agreeing with you right now! Our Goodwill STINKS! I already gave up and there must be a bazillion of others in my area who have "quit" Goodwill cause craigslist stuff is gone the minute after it is posted! Bleh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel, our Goodwill is terrible. I've never found anything "good" there. On a side note, just wanted to let you know that your blog is one of the ones that inspired me to start my own blog recently! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails